LOTS of proc troubles with VB

From: rschick <rschick_at_eagle.wbm.ca>
Date: 1995/11/21

Got some more questions:

  1. How do I use the OUT parameter in a stored proc?

Overview

I have a VB application in which I would like to use Oracle's stored procs from. I am able to do many of the functionality of the procs but I am yet to be able to pass data back to VB (utilizing the OUT paramater). I get an error message every time I try to call the proc with an OUT defined as one of the paramaters. I've tried passing data into the OUT (which you should not need to do), and it still gave errors. I even tried passing NULL but to no avail. I also tried just setting the parameters into the actual paramter name (ie test_parm <- '1234' or what ever the syntax was, but nothing). I forget the actuall error message, but Oracle always wanted data passed into the OUT parameter when calling the proc. When I pass it data, it does not like it. The OUT parameter I would like is number.

Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?

PS : Can an Oracle proc EASILY return rows back to the caller (ie select * from T_TEST) without doing the DBMS OUTPUT (or what ever the syntax) stuff? SQL Server can :) .

Thanks,
Rob Schick
SHL Systemhouse
rschick_at_shl.com Received on Tue Nov 21 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message