Re: Export Table Definition

From: Chuck Hamilton <chuckh_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1995/11/21

wchow_at_sfsu.edu (Walter Chow) wrote:

>I do have some questions in using the export utilities, and
>hope someone can help me solve the problem.

>For using the export utilities, I just want to export the table
>definition in the DataBase. However, I am not sure how I can
>export all tables definition of my schema without specifying all
>the table name in the PARFILE.

>The next question is that how I can export the constraints. What
>I tried to do is that if I create a table with primary key or
>foreign key constraint, how I should use the export utility in
>order to output these constraints along with the table definition.

>Also, even though I specified which table's definition that I
>want to export in the PARFILE, it will always give me some kind
>of errors.

[snipped]

>When I tried to do the export, the system return the following
>error message:
>
>.exporting table XX
>EXP-00008: ORACLE error 900 encountered
>ORA-01003: no statement parsed
>System error message 2
>.exporting table YY
>EXP-00008: ORACLE error 1003 encountered
>ORA-01003: no statement parsed
>EXP-00008: ORACLE error 900 encountered
>ORA-00900: invalid SQL statement

I'd just use the interactive mode for the export. When it asks you whether you want to export the entire database, 1 user, or individual tables, say you want to export an enture user (U). When it asks if you want to export the table data, say NO. This will export the defintions and constraints for every table in the user's schema without exporting any data. When you import that file, it'll create empty tables.

I think the error message though, has something to do with circularly defined referential integrity. How could you ever insert anything into either of the tables? You can't insert into XX because it would require a row in YY. But you can't insert into YY because it requires a row in XX.

I was able to create, export, and import both tables in version 7.1.6. But I could never put anything into either one.

--
Chuck Hamilton
chuckh_at_ix.netcom.com

Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than yourself!