Re: Oracle RDBMS or OODBMS ????

From: Scott Urman <surman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 1995/11/19

In article <1995Nov16.134833.15410_at_news.wrc.xerox.com>, cschl_at_Xerox.COM (Chuck Schlegel) writes:
|> In article 3mv_at_nnrp3.news.primenet.com, Robert & Jennifer Kuropkat <rjkurop> () writes:
|> >I believe the statement I heard was that "...relational
|> >databases will become more object-like...", but I'd have to
|> >dig to find the reference.
|> >
|> >Of course, this may just translate to, "don't buy one of those
|> >Object Oriented Databases, keep buying ours, and someday,
|> >ours will be an Object Database too". /grin
|> >
|> >Robert Kuropkat
|> >rkuropka_at_avalon.COM
|> >rjkurop_at_primenet.com
|> >

|> I was at the 95 Ingres World before coming over to Oracle. I attended a keynote
|> address by C. Date. In it he talked about how RDBMS has always had object orientation if they followed the original relational model. It was very interesting. You might try to contact someone who was there or C. Date himself. I will try to find the pa|> per.
|>
|> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
|> Ivan L. Labombarbe "It's a dog-eat-dog
|> Xerox Corporation world and I'm wearing
|> 800 Phillips Rd, 102-03B milkbone underwear."
|> Webster, NY 14580 <- Snail Mail Norm Peterson
|> 1-716-231-5180 <- Voice "CHEERS"
|> 1-716-422-2221 <- FAX
|> ivan_labombarbe_at_wb.xerox <- EMail
|> ~

Oracle8 is supposed to be an OORDBMS, from what I've heard. I'm not entirely sure what that really means, though. The tidbits so far seem very interesting, and I'm looking forward to more details. It is the next release scheduled after 7.3 I believe. Received on Sun Nov 19 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message