Re: Q:Spooling SQL*Plus output without newlines between rows

From: S. Kannan <skannan_at_cardinal.fs.com>
Date: 1995/11/18

Mike Perkins (Mike.Perkins_at_DaytonOH.ATTGIS.COM) wrote:

: How can I suppress the newline between rows returned with a select statement
: in sqlplus.

: I want to do something like:

: SELECT employee||', '
: FROM employee_tbl

: and get an output that looks like this:

: mike, steve, barry, al, grumpy, sneezy, doc, .....

: rather than:

: mike,
: steve,
: barry,
: etc....

: Michael C. Perkins
: AT&T Global Information Solutions

: "Dave is cool, the Cup is on his show, ergo hockey is cool !"
: - David Letterman

I don't think there is any parameter to control the new line character. Depending on the linesize a new line character is added every line.

If you are using UNIX then I can think of tr that could be used to achieve the desired effect. You would have to spool the names in a file and apply the tr command.

Hope this helps.

Kannan
Email: skannan_at_fs.com
Mastech Systems Corporation

The above are my own comments and opinion. They do not purport that of
anybody else.
       ** Different is Not Better. Better is not Different. **