Re: Where is Oracle going/positioning itself ...?

From: Bob King <rking_at_dfw.net>
Date: 1995/11/18

Alan Johnson <alan.johnson_at_gel.com> wrote:

>I'm having a hard time understanding where Oracle is positioning itself
>when I consider their three development approaches:

> 1) SQL Forms 4.x
> 2) Power Objects
> 3) PowerServer/PowerBrowser

>On the one hand, Forms has always been the "standard" for large scale
>corporate development in Oracle. But Forms seems to be stalled, in that
>cross platform versions of 4.5 Forms for the Mac and Unix still aren't
>available (true?). PowerOjects is the rage now, but it has no full
>cross platform capability. Now enter the WWW tools, with their
>inclusion of Java, PowerObjects, and who knows what else. What's a
>poor mother to do? Too many children are vying for my attention!

>Any thoughts?

>Alan

>------------
>Alan Johnson MIS Director
>email: alan.johnson_at_gel.com General Engineering Labs
>v: (803) 556-8171 f: (803) 766-1178 2040 Savage Road, Charleston,SC
>29414
The problem is, where is the market going? Oracle (as are most other companies) are very market-driven companies. There is a lot of competition for low-end and alternative information delivery tools. If you don't have a presence in the market, you can be left out. Unfortunately, that also dilutes the focus of the company - R&D, support, etc.

I don't think the database and client-server business community knows what it wants or needs yet.

Bob King
Business Phone - (817) 551-8223
** all comments are personal and do not necessarily

   the views of my employer, wife, daughter or dog (a pug) :-) Received on Sat Nov 18 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message