Re: Power Objects Questions

From: Jay M. Martin <bazaar_at_netcom.com>
Date: 1995/11/17

In article <48hqlt$ft5_at_nntp.interaccess.com>, Rick Greenwald <greenie_at_interaccess.com> wrote:

>Jay
>
>>theRecordSet.SetQuery("SELECT FIRSTNAME, LASTNAME FROM AUTHORS WHERE
>>AUTHORID = 1")
>>'More stuff here.
>>
>>However, when it attempts to run, it always identifies the SetQuery line
>>as being an invalid property. Does anyone know what this is all about?
>
>It looks like you are missing the second parameter for the SetQuery()
>function, which is a boolean which determines if the recordset is
>updateable or not.
>

>>BTW, I've seen several references to books "about to be out".
>
>I believe that would be the "Oracle Power Objects Developer's Guide", of
>which I am a co-author. It's from Oracle Press, ISBN 0-07-882163-0, and
>should be in fine bookstores in mid-December. thanks for the opportunity
>for the plug!
>
>- Rick Greenwald
>Links Technology

Rick,

Thanks for the response. You were correct. But now I get the error:

BAS-01100 Error executing method inherited from System

on that line. For more information, here is the full code from the Click() method of a button where this is called:

DIM theFirstName AS String
DIM theMiddleName AS String
DIM theLastName AS String
DIM theSelectString AS String
DIM theAnswer AS Integer

'theAuthorList is a global declared as Object theAuthorList = NEW DBRecordSet(BooksSession)

'the following are fields on a form
theFirstName = FIRSTNAME.Value
theMiddleName = MIDDLENAME.Value
theLastName = LASTNAME.Value

theSelectString = "Select AUTHORID, FIRSTNAME, MIDDLENAME, LASTNAME FROM AUTHORS where LASTNAME = "

theAuthorList.SetQuery(theSelectString & theLastName,FALSE)

if theAuthorList.GetRowCount() > 0 then

    FIRSTNAME.Value = theAuthorList.GetColVal("FIRSTNAME")     MIDDLENAME.Value = theAuthorList.GetColVal("MIDDLENAME")     LASTNAME.Value = theAuthorList.GetColVal("LASTNAME")     AUTHORID.Value = theAuthorList.GetColVal("AUTHORID") else

    theAnswer = MSGBOX("No matches to your search. Would you like to create a new entry for this author? Press Cancel to stop search and return.",35,"No Match")

    SELECT CASE theAnswer

        CASE 6
            beep
            beep
        CASE 2
            GetContainer.CloseWindow()
        CASE ELSE
            beep

    END SELECT
end if

Thanks for the earlier response, and I hope I'm not being too demanding!

jay

--
| Jay M. Martin             |