Re: backup versus export of db

From: Barry Roomberg <barry_roomberg_at_iacnet.com>
Date: 1995/11/17

metco_at_earth.execpc.com (Milwaukee Tool) wrote:

>I've been told by a Value-Added-Resaler of Oracle that if i want to backup
>an oracle 7 db, i should first do a full export, and then backup up the
>exported file.
>They said that a simple backup of the files used by oracle isn't good enough.
>The reason given went something like this,

> "while oracle is running, it leaves certain files open. Consequently,
> if you do a simple backup of the filesystem on which oracle resides,
> even if no db transactions are pending, you aren't guaranteed to
> capture the complete, latest state of the data."

>Can you shed any light on this statement? If basically true, what is really
>meant by "leaving files open"? My interest in knowing goes beyond the
>question of how to backup the db - I am also trying to decide if i there's
>enough benefit to warrant mirroring the disk partition(s) that hold the db.

>Thanks much for any help you lend.

>Jon Detert, metco_at_execpc.com, 414.783.8527

I can't BELIEVE the responses you have been getting on this one.

One of the MAJOR benefits of Oracle is flexible on-line backups. This means you can backup the database while it is up and running, while people are applying transactions, while queries are running, etc.

It can be a little bit pain in the but to set it up, but it is WELL worth it. I've been doing hot backups and restores with Oracle for SCO Unix for the last 4 years, and have done many restores for emergencies and testing, and have rarely had ANY problems.

And the problems that I did have were never silent, ie: inconsistent transactions.

I suggest to any of the people that told you that you can't do on-line backups go back to lurking, as opposed to spreading mis-information!

Also, since you are using a VAR who has NO idea what Oracle can do, do you really want to trust him to help you (and take your money in the process)? Received on Fri Nov 17 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message