Re: Designer 2000 - Reverse Engineering

From: <gary.wong_at_cyberstore.ca>
Date: 1995/11/15

> nvtuan_at_deepthnk.kiwi.gen.nz (Tuan Nguyen) writes:
> I have managed to reverse engineer the tables from an existing Oracle 7
> database. But when I tried to retrofit the tables to entities, the attributes
> in the entities appear in alphabetical order, not the physical sequence of
> the columns in the tables. Does anyone know how to get around this, short of
> going through every attributes and rekeying in the sequence numbers - which
> are present in the columns in the tables!!!
>
> -- Tuan

Tuan,

Oracle's view is that the physical sequence of the columns has no relevance at the logical model level. In other words, modelling the information requirements *shouldn't* require having the attributes in any particular order.

I'm not sure if I agree 100%, but I do see some validity in what they're saying; If there is another reason why Oracle didn't include this in the 'retrofit utility' or if they plan to change this in future releases, please post it...

Regards,
Gary Wong (gary.wong_at_cyberstore.ca)
Information Technology Consultant
(604) 360-1699 (Voice)
(604) 384-1178 (Fax) Received on Wed Nov 15 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message