Re: HELP! How to organize backups/exports/archiving?

From: Trevor Paquette <TrevorPaquette_at_aec.ca>
Date: 1995/11/15

unter_at_mecati.mecasoft.ch (Stefano UNTERNAEHRER) writes:

> I'm in progress to organize the physical security for our Oracle
> database. We have 3 small databases, with a total of about 200Mb
> of data in the $ORACLE_HOME/dbs directory.
> I also have log_archive_start=true (enabled).

 .. deleted ..

> The network server (ie the system administrator) do a tar copy
> every night of all the oracle software and oracle data, but not
> (at the moment) of the arc files.

  Make sure they start doing this right away!!! Without those archive files you could be majorly hosed when it comes time to restore.

> Now, on the oracle server I dispose a dat driver, and would like
> to do some (redundant) backups and exports.
> Here is my idea, please give me your opinion on how to improve it:
>
> - HOT BACKUP (weekly, manually or using cron)

  For small databases this method should be ok.

> cd $ORACLE_HOME
> tar cvf /dev/dat ./dbs/init* ./dbs/sga* ./dbs/*/*.ctl ./dbs/*/*.dbf

   Only do this type of backup when the database is down. We used to do this type of backup. We would do the following once a week:

      shutdown abort
      startup
      shutdown immediate
      tar all the database files to tape
      startup

 The rest of the week we would only backup the archive areas.

 Now we are starting to do hot baackups, and 'cloning'.

 Hope this helps as some sort of starting point..

--
 Name:Trevor Paquette      |Alberta Energy Company Ltd |Work:(403) 266-8400
Email:TrevorPaquette_at_aec.ca|3900, 421 7th Ave S.W.     | Fax:(403) 290-8400