Re: sql*plus INSERT problem

From: Mark Bluemel <markb_at_pyramid.com>
Date: 1995/11/15

Jonathan Wayne Ingram (jwingram_at_whale.st.usm.edu) wrote:
: Brad Stinson (bstinson_at_pinpoint.avl.com) wrote:
: : How do I enter the & character in an insert statement????
: This is not possible to my knowledge. Oracle has reserved the & as a
: variable prefix; my only advice is to use another character.

This is not a problem. The character used as a prefix for a substitution variable in SQL*Plus is configurable.

        SET DEFINE ! would make an exclamation mark act as the prefix.

        SET SCAN OFF is another possibility as it tells SQL*Plus not to look for substitution variables.

All this is documented in the manuals - there is no arcane knowledge here...

--
Mark Bluemel	Unix/Oracle Trainer and Consultant
		My opinions are my own, but I'll share them