Re: how to set up sqlnet v2 on PC ODBC

From: Chuck Hamilton <chuckh_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1995/11/14

tse_at_viis.shr.dec.com (Steve) wrote:

>How do I configure the ODBC driver in Windows for SQLNET V2 to talk to the
>Oracle server residing on UNIX? The Oracle server is running SQLNET V2 and I
>have the TNSNAMES.ORA file generated for the client from the net_conf
>configuration program.

>I don't know what to put in the connect string when configuring the ODBC
>driver and where to put the tnsnames.ora file. Is there anything else that
>has to be done before I can connect with the sample ODBC test program?

>Steve

The first thing to do is to get sqlnet v2 running by itself and make sure you can connect to the database with sqlplus, or ping it with nettest. Then adding the ODBC layer will be a snap.

The connect string for ODBC is just your normal sqlnet connect string. TNSNAMES.ORA should remain in the directory that sqlnet expects it in. If you installed sqlnet with the defaults, this will be c:\orawin\network\admin.

ODBC is just another layer on top of sqlnet. It still requires sqlnet to be running for ODBC to work. All it really does is translate ODBC calls into sqlnet calls.

--
Chuck Hamilton
chuckh_at_ix.netcom.com

Incoming fire has the right of way!