Re: Help! failed to extend rollback segment error.

From: Jonathan Lewis <Jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1995/11/14

In article <488bi3$eeq_at_srvr1.engin.umich.edu>

           esteinma_at_umich.edu "Ed Steinman" writes:

: I'm sure I've had problems in the past with cursors and commits. But now

: that I know others have had luck with this
^^^^^^ Luck is the rightr word. The problems would have been one of: a) ORA-01555 Snapshot too old This occurs if you have commits inside very large cursors where you are updating without a prior 'select for update'. b) ORA-01002 Fetch out of sequence This occurs if your cursor is a 'select for update' and you try to commit in the middle of it. c) A data-loss error: if your cursor is not a 'select for update', this allows another user to change a row and commit it before your cursor gets to it. General Guidelines: a) Although Oracle allows you to commit inside a cursor which is not a 'select for update' you should not do it. b) Do not do cursor updates unless you have done a select for update c) Avoid using cursor loops if you have a very large update: it is likely to be very inefficient
--
Jonathan Lewis