Re: Help: VARCHAR2

From: Joe Nardone <joe_at_access1.digex.net>
Date: 1995/11/14

Michael A McKenney (mckennem_at_ncr.disa.mil) wrote:
: But what about relatively small fields? Such as 1-8 characters. I understand
: the issue on a 2000 character field. But a varchar2(1) or even a varchar2(20)
: doesn't make sense to me in terms of i/o vs space tradeoff.

Trust me-- if you're worried about space you wouldn't be using Oracle.

Use VARCHAR2 exclusively. Otherwise you'll ultimately get bitten by the fact that you'll need to compare CHAR to VARCHAR2 and have to go and RPAD things and all sorts of ugly little additions to your code. There is almost NO advantage to using CHAR over VARCHAR2.

Joe

--

Joe Nardone <joe_at_access.digex.net> | I hate it when my schwartz gets twisted.