Re: How to uncover fragmentation?

From: Craig S. Mullins <MULLC_at_platinum.com>
Date: 1995/11/14

In article <1995Oct31.201749.6893_at_nosc.mil> (Angelo Melendez) writes:
>From: (Angelo Melendez)
>Subject: Re: How to uncover fragmentation?
>Date: Tue, 31 Oct 1995 20:17:49 GMT

>In message <46o87m$a9g_at_its.hooked.net>, Craig Harper <caharper_at_hooked.net>
>writes:

>>I am sorry if this question is to simple, but I am in need of a little
>>assistance, being a developer thrust into the DBA role I have a steep
>>learning curve and need a little help.
>>
>>I am trying to find out if our DB's tablespaces are fragmented, and if so
>>then what do I do about it. I have tried looking through the
>>documentation that was left behind but it is pretty thin. Apparently the
>>last DBA helpedd himself to all the important doc's.
>>
>>Thanks for anyone's help
>>

>>Craig Harper
>>IFTN
>>

>Craig,

>I would query the dba_segments view for objects with ten or more extents for
>starters.

> break on tablespace_name
> select tablespace_name, segment_name, segment_type, owner, bytes
> from dba_segments
> where extents >= 10
> order by tablespace_name

>You want to recreate severely fragmented tables and accommodate the segment
>into one extent (you'll need to set the initial extent to whatever the size the
>table is). There's a great third party Oracle Press manual called the DBA
>Handbook out there that addresses the fragmentation issue quite well.

>Hope this helps -- Angelo Melendez

PLATINUM technology, inc. offers a tool named TSreorg that could be of assistance to your defrag efforts.

TSreorg is a comprehensive reorganization tool for mission-critical ORACLE databases. The product allows efficient defragmentation of used and free space, automatic data partitioning, and individual table reorg (including reordering of columns, changing data type, shrinking columns, deleting columns, renaming columns, defragging, copying between instances, and partitioning onto multiple spindles). TSreorg is GUI-based and is currently generally available for Motif (September, 1994). Ports for Windows NT, and DEC OpenVMS will be available in late 1995.

There is no other tool on the market offering mainframe-caliber reorg for both small and large, mission-critical ORACLE databases. Tsreorg eliminates the need for dropping and recreating tables whenever large tables become inefficient to manage because of data disorganization. In addition, the product has a distributed database browser and an interactive proportional space map, which graphically displays table structures.

For more information, contact PLATINUM technology, inc. at 1-800-442-6861 or 708/620-5000.

PLATINUM technology, inc.
http://www.platinum.com Received on Tue Nov 14 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message