Re: Oracle Web Server

From: Bob Jernigan <jern_at_polecat.jhuapl.edu>
Date: 1995/11/14

In article <47tuvo$4n2_at_morrow.stanford.edu>, Jayasree Suryanarayanan <jayasree> writes:
|> Kevin Kelleher <kevink> wrote:
|> >The best way I've found to get to the Oracle database through
|> >the website is using oraperl. With just a few lines of code
|> >you can do whatever you want, write programs as complex as
|> >you like, with a minimum of effort.
|> >
|> >Kevin
|> >

|> However we had a number of problems getting oraperl to work and we couldn't get
|> much help from Oracle either. Basically we had a number of sqlnet V2
|> connectivity problems in addition to compatibility with different versions of
|> oracle, perl, oraperl ...
|>
|> Anyway to make the long story short now we use basic Pro*C functions to do
|> the backend queries and use the html forms front end to display them. This
|> seems
|> to work in our case.
|>
|> I would be interested in seeing if anyone else has better idea.
|>
|> Jayasree.

It's fairly easy to write your own web server. Start with the cdemo2.c program that comes with Oracle. Make main a subroutine, add network stuff on the front. There are examples in Steven's "UNIX network programming". My first one took about 4 hrs on a Saturday afternoon last December. Sorry I can't distribute sources but it's quite easy if you understand network programming.

--bob Received on Tue Nov 14 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message