Re: Bet I can stump the "experts" with this one!!

From: Bradley A. Ziola <ztcbaz_at_is.arco.com>
Date: 1995/11/13

cdaoust_at_ccnet.com wrote:
>> rlc1_at_ritz.cec.wustl.edu (Robert L Carter) writes:
>> For the last four months I've been using a certain table which I update and
>> select from on a day to day basis. Yesterday, when tring to do a select on a
>> varchar2 column I got an oracle error saying invalid number, thats fine and
>> well, but how do I get rid of this invalid number if oracle will not even
>> let me "see" it. Anyone know an easy fix, any ideas?!
>>
>> -Rob
>>

>Often Oracle will do an implicit conversion when you have failed to make it
>explicit. If you have set a number field equal to a string in the where clause
>(or vice-cersa - a string to a number) Oracle may try to convert a string
>to a number where you don't want this and report an error. Of course,
>including the SQL and which portion Oracle reported the error for would help
>a hell of a lot also!!
>
>hth - Claude

Another possible souce of this error is a correlated subquery, particularly one with a DECODE which returns no rows.

|  Bradley A. Ziola              |  ORA-01435                   |
|  Systems Consultant            |                              |
|  ARCO Transportation Co.       | Disclaimer:  The views       |
|  300 Ocean Gate                |              expressed are   |
|  Long Beach, CA. 90802         |              not necessarily |
|  (310) 590-4478                |              those of my     |
|  e-mail: ztcbaz_at_is.arco.com    |              employer.       |