Re: Personal Oracle 7 under WINOS2?

From: W. van der Deijl <W.van.der.Deijl_at_inter.nl.net>
Date: 1995/11/11

selliott_at_crl.com (Steve Elliott) wrote:

>I have successfully installed win32s, and personal Oracle 7 under
>WINOS2. However any attempt at accessing the starter database yields
>an ORA-03121 message. Has anyone had success doing this?

>Thanx,
>--

> Steve Elliott (selliott_at_crl.com)

Hi, I had a slightly different problem, but the same ORA-message, but perhaps my story can help:

I installed Personal Oracle (BETA for Windows 95) under Win95. SQL*Plus version 3.2 came with this PO and worked fine. I uesd "connect system/manager" to connect to the database.

But then I installed all the Developer/2000 products (normal Win 3.1 versions). First of all, as mentioned in the README, the (old) versions will replace three .DLL file in orawin\bin. But the new (Win95) versions come with the PO BET in a seperate directory, so you can copy the new versions to \orawin\bin.

But then I started SQL*Plus version 3.1 (Win 3.1 version) and....... connect system/manager
ORA-3121 bla bla bla.

Hmmm.. This looks like a problem. But after some reading of the PO7-articles in this newsgroup I got it: connect system/manager_at_2:

You should use "2:" as you database-name in the "old" products. I think this has something to do with the way the old and new versions store their settings, so that the old version does not see the default database-setting of the new-version. (Still with me?)

But now that I'm using <username>/<password>_at_2: everything works fine. I know this is not the same problem you have, but perhapd you can try to include your database-name in the connect-string.

BTW If anyone could tell me how to get the old Win3.1 versions to use the 2: database when I do not specify a database-name myself........ Please send me a message, or reply to my question in this newgroup...

Bye!,
Wilfred Received on Sat Nov 11 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message