Re: Client-Server Oracle7 / AS400

From: Kirk Bradley <kbradley_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1995/11/11

Oracle sells 3 gateways to get to AS/400 systems (DB2/400 databases and programs)

  1. the transparent gateway for db2/400
  2. the DRDA transparent gateway for db2/400
  3. and the procedural gateway for APPC

#1 runs normal SQL*Net on OS/400 and allows transparent access to DB2/400 data

   from V7. SQL*Net and the gateway are installed on the AS/400. Since access    is via SQL*Net you can use ANY V7 anywhere (with distrobuted option) that    can access SQL*Net with TCP/IP or APPC (the only 2 protocols we support on    the AS/400)

#2 runs the DRDA protocol from AIX, Solaris, or HP-UX and talks to DB2/400. You

   don't install ANY software on the AS/400 itself.

#3 accesses application programs rather than database records (of course the

   application will probably read data itself) and can talk the APPC protocol.    in OS/400 this is easier than other systems cause APPC 'files' can be    treated like disk files.

Hope that helps.. call your local sales office. We're also doing gateway seminars around the country and giving away a CD-ROM with all this info on it.