Re: Dates for 21st Century?

From: Charles Jardine <cj10_at_cam.ac.uk>
Date: 1995/11/10

Louise Miller <miller_at_louise.ucsd.edu> wrote:

>Hmm....I wonder, do archeologists have trouble with BC?
>Anyone out there using dates before the year 1? (Just curious.)

Historians of the English speaking world should be careful about Oracle dates between 1582 and 1752. Oracle changes from the Julian to the Gregorian calendar on 5/15 October 1582, However Britain and its colonies continued to use Julian dates until September 1752.

Of course, California was Spanish at the time, so Oracle is right when it is at home. Users on the East Coast should join us Brits in complaining:-) Received on Fri Nov 10 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message