Re: ORA-01459:Invalid length for variable character string - please HELP!

From: PeachBrandy <mejojo_at_rain.org>
Date: 1995/11/10

phil_at_ccc.govt.nz wrote:

>We have a Delphi C/S application running under W4W3.11 using Oracle
>7.1 on NT3.51 as a back end. Users who log onto the application run
>quite happily for a variable length of time (normally 10-30 mins)
>and then receive the following error "General SQL error.
>ORA-01459:invalid length for variable character string". The error
>occurs during a SQL query to the database and necessitates the user
>exiting the application (sometimes out of windows altogether) and then
>re-entering it again. Where the error occurs is not consistent
>(perhaps indicating a resource problem). The Oracle documentation
>is not much help, saying that no action can be taken to correct the
>problem.
>
>Any assistance would be much appreciated.
>
>Thanks in advance to all who reply!
>

>Phil

A best-guess would be that the application is generating some kind of session-specific sequence number that is represented in a VARCHAR2 column. After so much activity, this sequence crosses a boundary 99-100, 999-1000, etc which is wider than the destination column. When you restart the app, it restarts at 0 or 1 and all is good till it hits the boundary again.

Me Received on Fri Nov 10 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message