Datalens

From: WW <nibmwmw_at_jscprofs.nasa.gov>
Date: 1995/11/09

I'm trying to install DATALENS on my PC running OS/2, to talk to an ORACLE7 database running SQL-NET V1 (apparently datalens won't talk to SQL-NET V2) on a RISC machine. This is working just fine on another PC, pointing to an ORACLE V6 database which, however, is slated to be removed as soon as I get this working.

The people who got the V6 connection working are, of course, gone, with no word left of what they did. There is a .cmd file one of them wrote which does the connect, and that's it.

So, to make sure I'm pointing in all the right places, I was wondering if there's anyone out there who either has gotten this to work (and it's entirely possible that I've just misread or misunderstood something) who can give me the correspondence of the relevant fields between the ORACLE connection configuration files, the Lotus configuration files, and the DATALENS configuration files.

As far as I can tell, with this setup, I need a CONFIG.ORA file. I copied one from someone -- where do they come from originally? I do have a DATALENS.INI file, and I'm assuming that the ID field at the top is simply a string which identifies where I'm pointing to, and that it's an arbitrary string which is used by Lotus Notes when it does a refresh.

I'm further assuming that the DRIVER field in fact identifies the driver, and that the LEVEL1 field says it's an ORACLE database, and the LEVEL2 points to the database name identified in the SQLNET DBNAME statement in the CONFIG.ORA file. If that's not the case, can someone out there please let me know how datalens knows which database to talk to?

The current error message I'm getting say's I'm not getting there; I think the problem is at least in part in the PC connection to ORACLE, hence the cross posting to the ORACLE group.

If anyone can point me in some direction or another I'd appreciate it.

thanks
Wendy Wilkinson
Loral Space Information Systems
Houston, Texas Received on Thu Nov 09 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message