Re: How to find out Optimizer's current Goal? ****

From: Sridhar Subramaniam <avion_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: 1995/11/09

gunes_at_ibm.net wrote:

> In <47f8a5$fhn_at_gaia.cc.gatech.edu>, badri_at_cc.gatech.edu (badri) writes:
> >Hi:
> >
> > I am familiar with switching the optimizer's goal with
> >an explicit hint, but how to find out it's current goal?
> >
> > I tried "show all" and nothing about optimization
> >came up. I am not sys in my system, so I could not see the v$ tables
> >if they do contain the information.
> >
> >Please help,
> >
> >-Badri
> >

> You can use "EXPLAIN PLAN" command for getting the goal of optimizer or
> hints. (Application Developer's Guide Appendix B Page B-10 thru B-18)
>
> Sergul YUCEKOK
> DBA
> U&G CONSULTANCY
> Istanbul/TURKEY
>
> ********Peace at home, Peace in the world. ATATURK*****************
Badri,

select value from v$parameter where name like '%optimizer%; This would give the system-wide setting for the optimizer_mode.

Now : if the user is doing an 'alter session set optimizer_goal=choose/rule', i don't know where this info would be stored. I can't think of any other way to find out the current sessions' optimizer_goal, other than doing an Explain_plan. There should be a better way to find this out.

--
Cheers

Sridhar Subramaniam
Avion Consulting Services
Sydney - Australia
Email : ssubrama_at_nibucorp.ccdn.otc.com.au / avion_at_ozemail.com.au

Disclaimer : All opinions are truly and just mine.