Re: Help! Updating a LONG column

From: Steve Preisach <steve_at_mailhost.gate.net>
Date: 1995/11/08

In Article<NEWTNews.815361172.25272.neilw_at_peregrine.peregrine.ie>,
> Problem updating a column of type LONG
> ======================================
>

> I have a table called USERS.
> One of the columns of the USERS table is called WORK_SQL and is of type
 LONG,
> where a LONG stores a character string up to 65535 in length.
>
> I am not able to UPDATE the WORK_SQL column.
>
> Is there anything wrong with the following SQL statement:
>

> UPDATE USERS SET WORK_SQL = '---255 characters' || '--255 characters'
> WHERE USER_ID = 'ABC'
>
> where "||" is the string concatenation operator.
>
> No error is returned, but only the first 255 characters are copied to
 the
> column.
>
> Many thanks.
>

> Neil Watson.
> neilw_at_peregrine.ie

Yep, that's what happens. Last time I tried something like this, I found that setting the "LONG" parameter in SQL*Plus would allow me to retrieve all of the long value (set long 2048). But Plus would not allow me to write more than 255 bytes. I had to resort to a Pro*C program... Received on Wed Nov 08 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message