Re: SQL*Net, then ditch Winsock?

From: Joe Nardone <joe_at_access1.digex.net>
Date: 1995/11/07

Bill Pollack (Pollack_at_ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: When running an application that in turn runs SQL*Net, WINSOCK.DLL
: is run. However, when the application is closed, WINSOCK.DLL
: remains active. (I'm talking about a PC running Windows 3.1 here.)
: This prevents the running of another application that requires a
: different version of WINSOCK.DLL from running (even though that
: application may be set up to use a different directory, one that
: has a different WINSOCK.DLL in it, for instance). Some
: applications that load WINSOCK.DLL "on demand" (Pegasus mail, for
: example) also send a command to the DLL when they are finished, so
: that it will shut itself down. My question: is there a way to
: configure SQL*Net so that it, too, will instruct WINSOCK.DLL to
: remove itself from memory when SQL*Net is about to leave?
:
: Thanks for any help on this.

Why do you need two versions of Winsock?

Doesn't this defeat the whole idea of DLL's? DYNAMIC-linked libraries? Winsock doesn't necessarily shut down because some other app may use it later. Esp. if some app is using it during/after SqlNet.

What prevents you from using one Winsock.dll?

Joe

--

Joe Nardone               |