Sorting on a calculated field

From: Sean Garagan <garagan_at_ug.cs.dal.ca>
Date: 1995/11/05

Greetings,

I am currently using Reportwriter 2.0 (soon to upgrade to 2.5) and I am having a problem with one report I have just written. My employer has asked for the final summary of the total report to be sorted on a percentage that is calculated from 2 other fields, also calculated fields. The overall report is grouped on a sub-table of the main table. It looks like the following:

Drug class Drug type Cost Percentage

Percentage is calculated from (Cost / overall total cost)

Cost is calculated from several fields in the main table grouped by drug type

Drug class is not in the main table, it is in a sub-table containing the drug info

Reportwriter doesn't seem to have anyway of telling it to sort on a calculated field, or to put this information into a table or cursor at runtime to allow a second query to sort that table.

I have just started using Oracle and SQL in the last 6 weeks, so it's probably something small that I am missing.

Thanks in advance,

Have fun!		| C debugging tip # 8
Sean			| If you can't get it to work, re-write it in
garagan_at_ug.cs.dal.ca	| assembler.  This won't fix the bug, but it will
sgaragan_at_is.dal.ca	| make sure no one else finds it and makes you