Another Newbie SQL question....

From: Al Corvino <corvino_at_rohan.sdsu.edu>
Date: 1995/11/05

Ok I think this one is a little (just a little though) more involved than my last 'Newbie SQL question' although it again covers those dreaded group by queries. (P.S. Thanks again to everyone who helped.)

        This time what I need to do is give a an avg(VALUE) for a bunch of individuals. Example:

DESCRIBE FOO; ID# CHAR(4)
BAR NUMBER
DEPT CHAR(15)         Ok, how can I select an avg(BAR) grouped by DEPT for each ID#? What I want to do is something like:

	SELECT id# as ID_NUMBER, avg(BAR) FROM foo
	group by DEPT;

	But this does not work. Any guesses as to what does?

	Thanks again,
	Al