Oracle7 - ODBC Mini FAQ

From: Neil Clark <clark_at_ionet.net>
Date: 1995/11/05

Document ID:          9370151.61
Title:		     WIN: Answers to Common Oracle7 ODBC Driver Questions

Last Revision Date: 05 Oct 1995

Expiration Date: 20 Oct 1996

Product: Oracle7 ODBC driver

Information Type: ADVISORY

Impact: High

Abstract:	This bulletin answers the most common questions about
		Oracle7 ODBC driver.  It also describes the way to
		configure your data source and test your ODBC driver
Keywords:	ODBC; ORACLE7; PERSONAL ORACLE; DATASOURCE;CONNECT

            Answers to Common Oracle7 ODBC Driver Questions

The ODBC ( Open Database Connectivity ) interface allows applications to

access data in DBMS ( Database management systems using SQL(structured query language). Oracle ODBC driver is a DLL that implements ODBC function calls and interacts with a data source. In this bulletin, an attempt is made to answer the most common questions.

Q1, Where do I get the latest ODBC driver from ?

  1. There are two places where one can get the Oracle ODBC driver.
  2. By reaching your Oracle sales representative ii) On CompuServe, access the Oracle User Group Forum (GO ORACLE)
        Select LIBRARY from the menubar
        Search the MIDDLEWARE & ODBC Library
        Type 'odbc' ( without quotes) in the Keyword Box.
        In the list of items retrived you will see
        Oracle7 ODBC driver.

    Oracle ODBC driver is also bundled with Personal Oracle7 for MS-Windows and Oracle7 Server for NT.

Q2. How do I install the Oracle ODBC driver ?

  1. Run the SETUP.EXE program to install the Oracle ODBC driver on your
     system.  If the ODBC driver is bundled with other Oracle products,
     use the Oracle Installer(ORAINST.EXE)

Q3.  I have two ODBC drivers 1.11.0.5.0 and 1.11.1.5.0
     Which driver should I install ?

  1. The version of the ODBC driver you will install is dependent on the
     Required Support files you have on your system.
     To find the required support files on your system, run the Oracle
     installer (\ORAWIN\BIN\ORAINST.EXE)
     This will give you the list of products installed on your system
     Search for Required Support files and make note of the version.

     If you are running Required Support files 7.0.X, you need to
install 1.11.0.5.0 If you are running Required Support files 7.1.X, you need to install 1.11.1.5.0

Q4. How do I configure my datasource ?

  1. Double click on the Control Panel icon. Choose the ODBC icon in the Control Panel. If you don't see an ODBC icon, bring up the File Manager You should see ODBCADM.EXE typically in \WINDOWS\SYSTEM directory.

    You should now see a Dialog Box. Click on the button ADD.     Choose the ODBC driver you want the datasource to be associated with     and click on the OK button. Assign a name to the datasource.     Description is optional SQL*Net connect string identifies the database you want to connect to. The connect string is dependent on the version of SQL*Net

    SQL*Net V1 TCP/IP                 - t:<servername>:<SID>
               SPX                    - x:<servername>:<SID>
               Named Pipes            - p:<servername>:<SID>

    SQL*Net V2                        - <alias>

    Personal Oracle7 For MS-Windows - 2:

Q5. How do I find the version of ODBC driver and the DLL, I am using ?

  1. Click on the ODBC icon in the Control Panel Click on the DRIVERS button Choose the driver you are using and click on the ABOUT button

Q6. How do I know, if I have configured my driver correctly ?

  1. We supply a program ODBCTST.EXE. You should find this in your \WINDOWS\SYSTEM directory Execute ODBCTST and connect to your database by clicking on the CONNECT button. Try to execute a SQL statement To execute , type out your statement and click on the EXECUTE button.

Q7. How do I generate the ODBC call trace file

  1. Double click on the ODBC icon in control panel (\windows\system\odbcadm.exe) Choose your data source and click on the OPTIONS button. Check Trace ODBC Call. You could specify the name of the file by clicking on SELECT FILE Click on the OK button.

Q8. What other products do I need to make ODBC driver work ?

  1. You definitely need SQL*Net for Windows. Make sure that SQL*Net for

    Windows is installed and configured correctly before you try to connect through ODBC. If you are connecting to Personal Oracle7 for MS-Windows, you do not need the SQL*Net for Windows. Personal Oracle comes with SQL2TT.dll ( Two task Driver) which is used to connect to Personal Oracle7 standalone database.

Q9. Is there any on-line help for ODBC ?

  1. Yes, we do provide on-line help. You should find drvora71.hlp or drvora7.hlp in your \WINDOWS\SYSTEM directory. Unfortunately the install program does not create an icon for it.

Q10. How does the Oracle ODBC driver communicate to the Oracle Database ?

  1. The application/driver architecture is:
                                    Application

ODBC driver manager (ODBC.DLL)

Oracle7 Driver (SQORA71.DLL)

OCI layer (ORA71WIN.DLL)

SQL*Net Driver

Network Software ( PCTCP, Novell Netware, Microsoft LAN Manager, etc,.)

SQL*Net Listener

Oracle7 RDBMS

Q11. If I am unable to connect, what do I need to check ?

  1. Though the resolution to a connect problem depends on the type of the connect error, here are few things to check
  2. Make sure \ORAWIN\BIN is in your search path ii) Make sure you can connect from an Oracle tool such as SQL*Plus. If you cannot connect from an Oracle tool, you will not be able to connect through the Oracle ODBC driver. iii)Make sure you have created your datasource and double check the

         connect string.

                              Oracle Worldwide Customer Support

 Neil Clark - SysOp - The Tackle Box BBS at (405) 359-3301  Internet: clark_at_ionet.net
 CompuServe: 75717,1435
 WWW - http://www.ionet.net:80/~clark