Re: Dear Oracle Corp.: ORACLE 7.2: No more OFA / $ORACLE_BASE support ?

From: Lee Parsons <lparsons_at_eskimo.com>
Date: 1995/11/05

Larry Fishman <larryf_at_teleport.com> wrote:
>according to oracle, support for OFA went away in 7.1.6 and is currently
>not supported because 'we want to smooth out the installation process'.
>oracle wanted to automagically create all the directory structures as
>part of the install process.

>yes, i know the above does not make sense. why not leave it in there
>for people who want it or already have it installed? oracle had no
>answer for that part.

Because it was broken. It wasn't a function of taking a working process and shutting it down. Apparently if you actually followed the instructions to install an OFA DB using the old installer you wouldn't get a working DB OFA or otherwise.

I dont know for sure but I assume that the process worked on platform A but when they moved it to platform B they found an "Oh Shit". Rather than scramble around and try to fix it at the last minute, they put the process on hold so it could be done right.

--
Regards,

Lee E. Parsons                  		lparsons_at_eskimo.com