Re: How to connect another tablespace?

From: <mreagan_at_fast.net>
Date: 1995/11/04

In article <47brah$hg2_at_ctsc.hkbc.hk>, Johnson.Chow_at_Comp.HKBU.Edu.HK wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have created another tablespace, other than system tablespace.
>
> But I'm not sure how to use (and mount) this tablespace.
>
> Would you mind telling me how to do it?
>
> TIA.
>
> --
> Johnson Chow

The first thing you need to do, if you haven't already, is create a second rollback segment in the SYSTEM tablespace. When you create a database, only one rollback segment is created. This rollback segment is only for activity in the SYSTEM tablespace. You can create other tablespaces, but cannot use them until you create a second rollback segment.

The way I usually create a new database is:

  1. create the database using the script generated by ORACLEINS (with some minor adjustments, of course).
  2. Log on as SQLDBA and create
  3. a tablespace for rollback segments (RB_SEG)
  4. a scratch tablespace (SCRATCH)
  5. a temporary segments tablespace (TEMP_SEG)
  6. Create a second rollback segment called RB_SEG_TEMP in the SYSTEM tablespace.
  7. Create the necessary rollback segments in the RB_SEG tablespace.
  8. Take the rollback segment created in step # 3 offline (RB_SEG_TEMP). This will keep the SYSTEM tablespace from being fragmented by that rollback segment.
  9. Create the necessary user accounts with SCRATCH as the default tablespace and TEMP_SEG as the temporary segment tablespace.

If the tablespace is truly offline,

ALTER TABLESPACE tablespacename ONLINE;

should bring it back online. You might want to check to see if the datafile is offline.

Good luck, and let me know if this works (or if I completely misunderstood the question 8-P).

Matt... Received on Sat Nov 04 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message