Re: Help UNIX vs NOVELL

From: <bwytqnr_at_bridge.bst.bls.com>
Date: 1995/11/03

In Article<1995Nov03.150453.2068530_at_undefined>, <ENCTDEP_at_undefined> write:

> We don't have enough UNIX expertise, so we are thinking of swithing to
 Novell.

My personal recommendation is to hire yourself some Unix expertise. Plenty of contractors about these days.

> Can anyone tell me about the differences between running Oracle7 under UNIX
 and
> running under Novell (I heard that running under Novell would be slower)?
> What are the considerations migrating from Oracle7 under UNIX to Novell?

We have pretty much decided that the networking requirements for Novell would preclude the possibility of any kind of decent response time. I don't believe that you would have much success moving from Unix to Novell except in the case of a really small database. Novell is, much like Windoze, a "simulated" multi-user/multi-tasking environment sitting on top of a DOS based system. The biggest question is: is Novell capable of dealing with 80+ concurrent users? Can you buy a PC that's got enough resources for that kind of load?

Jim Joslin
BellSouth Telecommunications, Inc

:::: The opinions expressed herein are my own and quite possibly ::::
:::: result of a significant lack of sleep and maybe the fact that ::
:::: I really hate kludges. ::: :-)