Re: ODBC ODBC ODBC ODBC UGHHHHHHH!!!!!

From: Eric Ebinger <ebinger_at_alfie.drc.com>
Date: 1995/11/03

Okay, this time I'll try to answer the question that was asked.

lefkogt%rr%usafa_at_sc4199.usafa.af.mil (Gary T Lefko) wrote:
> Here is our situation:
>
>HP9000 Oracle7 TCP/IP SQL*Net 2.0 SID=admis
>
>************Our TNSNAMES.ORA file*******************
>
># Sample tnanames.ora file.
># This is a sample file for the client side.
># This file should be changed appropriately for any given
>network/machine.
># It is only inteded to be a prototype model to aid porters.
>

>local_host = (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(PORT=1601)(HOST=node_d))
> (CONNECT_DATA=(SID=admis)))
>
>host_V2 = (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(PORT=1601)(HOST=node_d))
> (CONNECT_DATA=(SID=admis)))
>
>host_V1=T:node_d:admis
>***************End
>
>On client side:
>
>Win 3.1, TCP/IP s/w, ODBC driver for Oracle7 for Win 3.1, we created a
>data source with connect string '128.236.201.2admis' (tried
>128.236.201.2:admis, also).
>
>Installed Oracle products:
>GUI common files, installer, net manager, required support files, SQLNet
>2.0.15.0.3, and tools and utilities.
>

>What can we do to get a working ODBC connection? This shouldn't be rocket
>science...we are totally frustrated and me personnally our DBAs no nothing
>about ODBC connections (or Oracle admin, for that matter). I have

Okay, it's really not to difficult. Assuming that you have SQLNet properly installed. Make sure that you have installed the SQLNet TCP/IP Adapter otherwise SQLNet won't be able to talk to anything not on the PC.

You also need to understand that with SQLNet 2 the format of the connect strings is totally different. If we look at your TNSNAMES.ORA file...

>************Our TNSNAMES.ORA file*******************
>
># Sample tnanames.ora file.
># This is a sample file for the client side.
># This file should be changed appropriately for any given
>network/machine.
># It is only inteded to be a prototype model to aid porters.
>

>local_host = (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(PORT=1601)(HOST=node_d))
> (CONNECT_DATA=(SID=admis)))
>
>host_V2 = (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(PORT=1601)(HOST=node_d))
> (CONNECT_DATA=(SID=admis)))
>
>host_V1=T:node_d:admis

We see that there are three connect definitions:

local_host, host_V2, and host_V1

local_host and host_V2 seem to be identical SQLNet 2 definitions and host_V1 is a SQLNet 1 definition. SQLNet 1 definitions will not work with SQLNet 2 so you are left with two possible connection strings: 'local_host' or 'host_V2'. When you installed SQLNet 2 it should have created an ORACLE prgram group that contains the item Oracle Net test.

Use that and specify for the username and password a valid oracle user/password and for connect string either 'local_host' or 'host_v2'. This will test whether SQLNet works. When that is functional, use that as the connection string for the ODBC. It should work just fine.

Eric Ebinger Received on Fri Nov 03 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message