SQL Tuning - TKPROF ... NOT!

From: Richard Ellison <rellison_at_nosc.mil>
Date: 1995/11/02

No. I'm not posting this to slam TKPROF. I have great respect for any DBA or developer that can tune SQL statements with TKPROF.

To make life easier for my users, my servers, and me I am currently evaluating Windows-based tuning tools. The most impressive one that I have seen so far is ExplainSQL by SQL Tools.

Before we buy....

  • Has anyone used this product?
  • What is your opinion of the product?
  • What other products did you look at?
  • Why did you pick this product?

I'll do the best that I can to share the information that I obtain by posting my findings back to this newsgroup. I don't care to "talk with" any vendors or consultants who want to sell their time to "help me" select software products.

I'm personally very frustrated by the vultures that hang out on this newsgroup  hoping to make a buck off of other DBA's/developer's lack of information. I would like to have an open exchange of product review information without all the salesmanship.

Thanks for any and all information.

Rick Ellison
DBA Received on Thu Nov 02 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message