Re: temporary tablespace problem

From: <mlanda_at_vnet.ibm.com>
Date: 1995/11/02

In <mreagan-0111952327310001_at_mreagan.fast.net>, mreagan_at_fast.net writes:
>In article <472ohg$p7i_at_maverick.tad.eds.com>, lnustruk.xzw6cb_at_eds.com
>(Michael Higgins) wrote:
>
>> I have a package that performs a bunch of inserts to a table. My problem
>> is that if I do too many inserts, I get an ORA-01547 - Failed to allocate
>> extent of size 250 in tablespace TEMPORARY (my default temp tablespace).
>>
>> I'd like more information about what gets written to my temp tablespace
>> so that I might be able to solve my problem.
>>
>> I'm running Oracle 7.0.16.6.0 on a NetWare server.
>
>Higg,
>
>I can't imagine what gets written to a temp tablespace during an insert.
>The only conclusions I can draw are:
>
>1) Your table is located in the TEMPORARY tablespace and does not have
>sufficient space to insert the record(s).
>
>2) You are using a rollback segment that was created in the TEMPORARY
>tablespace and it has insufficient space to grow to include the rollback
>information for your transaction.
>
>Check all your rollback segments and check the tablespace in which the
>table (or its indexes) resides.
>
>Let me (us) know what you find out.
>
>Matt...

Well, there are things that get written to a temporary tablespace during the execution of some sql statements: Temporary segments. These segments are created by Oracle while executing SQL that includes a group by, distinct, order by, union, minus, intersect, or possibly doing a unindexed join or containing certain subqueries. On the surface it does not seem like you are doing any of these things, but since you are executing SQL statements from a package Oracle will be issuing recursive SQL calls which will also generate temporary segments.

M.Landa Received on Thu Nov 02 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message