Re: UNIX vs VMS

From: Lisa Roderick <roderick_at_eps.enet.dec.com>
Date: 1995/11/02

In article <462vqg$q07$3_at_mhadg.production.compuserve.com>, 76004.2053_at_CompuServe.COM says...

>I'm glad to hear people don't think VMS is going away but the fact
>is the VMS is a shrinking market and is no longer a primary port
>for Oracle.

How do you define primary port? Oracle doesn't use that terminology when deciding to which platforms they port. OpenVMS Alpha *and* OpenVMS VAX are both tier-one, enterprise ports for Oracle. Because Oracle changed their engineering platform a year ago from OpenVMS to UNIX, the ports to OpenVMS have taken longer than the ports to UNIX. The net effect is that tthe released product on OpenVMS is less buggy since the OpenVMS porting team has the opportunity to fix bugs that those lucky, trail-blazing UNIX customers get to find the hard way.

Oracle plans to bring the porting schedule for OpenVMS to be closer to their UNIX ports this spring.

>Last I heard they did not even have parallel query
>working on OpenVMS. (never did know what was Open about VMS).

Don't believe everything you hear. It shipped in 7.1.3 along with all the other ports.

>I loved VMS but wake up and smell the coffee. And don't believe
>everything managment tells you. They always support a product
>until they day they dump it.

Try decaf. I'm not in management (thankfully). I do performance characterization for Oracle Financials and Manufacturing on Digital's Alpha platforms. OpenVMS will be around for a long, long time. Our customers demand it. The AlphaServer 8400 with 300 MHz CPUs is selling like mad. Keep those POs coming!

--
Lisa Roderick
Applications Systems Engineering Performance Group