Re: Win95/Personal Oracle/SQL*Windows/Erwin

From: Hagen Finley <hagen_at_violet.berkeley.edu>
Date: 1995/11/01

   It might be wothwhile to check the settings in your oracle.ini file which is generally in your WIN95 directory. I found that the paths in my oracle.ini file were set to {drive}:\orawin\ instead of {drive}:\orawin95\. Also you need to verify that the oracle-home is set to {drive}:\orawin95\bin\ and the oracle.ini also has a line which designates the Oracle database to = 2:

   A couple of other considerations. First, check your autoexec.bat path and verify that {drive}:orawin95\bin\ is included so that your external program can execute the database commands.

   Second,there is a bug in the WIN95 beta which does not allow 16 bit connections which means the 16 bit windows apps won't work with it until you download a dll file and update your {drive}:\orawin\bin\ directory. Here is what product support told me:

The problems you are having is due to a bug in the two-task driver that came with PO7 Beta for Win 95. This bug will not allow 16-bit applications to connect to the database. There is a patch for this bug. The first thing you need to do is copy all the files in the ora16upd directory to the c:\orawin\bin directory not the c:\orawin95\bin directory. Next you will need
to download sql2tt.zip off our BBS. After you unzip this file, move it into the c:\orawin\bin directory. Follow these instructions to download from our BBS:   Modem # 407-888-1234 (dial string: atdt14078881234)

After connect, modem prompts for following:

Full Name: oracle user
Calling from anywhere: y
Password: "bejoy" * note the passwd changes weekly, talked to desktop support
for latest passwd.

Main menu looks as follows:

Oracle World Wide Support BBS
Main Menu
[A] Installation Assistance by Product
[S] Oracle Customer Support Information
[M] Message Area
[E] Enter Comments & Suggestions
[R] Read Comments & Suggestions
[U] User Utilities

MENU TITLES IN RED ARE ONLY SEEN IF YOU HAVE BEEN GIVEN PRIVLEDGES
[C] Oracle Customer File Download/Upload Menu
[F] Aministrator file menu
[X] eXit

Command:

Enter 'c' for [C] Oracle Customer File Download/Upload Menu

Screen will look as follows:

Oracle World Wide Support BBS
Oracle Customer File Download/Upload

[S] Search for a File [Customer]
[D] Download a File [Customer]
[U] Upload a file [Customer]
[T] Technical Bulletins for Download [Customer]

Exiting Options
[M] Return to Main Menu
[B] Back to Previous Menu
[X] eXit

Command:

Enter 'd' for [D] Download a File [Customer]

Screen will look as follows:

<D>ownload, <P>rotocol, <T>ag
Selection or <CR> to exit:

Select 'd' and press 'return'.
Screen will look as follows:

Select from the following transfer protocols:

T - TYPE file to your screen
C - ASCII with DC2/DC4 Capture
A - ASCII only, no Control Codes
X - XMODEM
O - XMODEM-1k
Y - YMODEM (Batch)
G - YMODEM-g (Batch)
S - SEAlink
K - KERMIT
W - SuperKERMIT (Sliding Windows)
Z - ZMODEM-90(Tm)

Choose one (Q to Quit):

'Z' for ZMODEM is the best protocol.
Many programs will automatically begin uploading the file. If yours does not
begin automatically, then check your menus, and begin a zmodem upload.

NOTE: Patches on the bbs are generally in the form of a self extracting executables. Basically, copy the .exe to a tmp directory. Run the .exe, then
read the included files for instruction.

NOTE: If you are using the windows terminal program, then you will have to choose xmodem, and you will most probably have problems. THE WINDOWS TERMINAL
PROGRAM IS NOT RECOMENDED FOR UPLOAD/DOWNLOADS.   If you do not download the file this weekend, then you will need to e-mail me
for the password.

It is possible to access the PO7 for Win95 database locally from OPO. You can
only connect after you have applied the patch to the two-task driver that allows for 16-bit to 32-bit communication. In the future Oracle will release an Enterprise Edition that will allow for remote connectivity. You can also get the Workgroup Server for NT that supports remote connectivity.

I hope this information was helpful,     Received on Wed Nov 01 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message