Re: Q: ODBC vs GLUE ?

From: Sundar Narasimhan <sundar_at_ai.mit.edu>
Date: 1995/11/01

In article <46ri6i$sh4_at_bytor.lerc.nasa.gov>, gapinski_at_lerc.nasa.gov (Gary Gapinski) writes:
|> It doesn't matter if it's Oracle on Unix.
|>
|> My remarks spring from a conviction that total application development costs
|> increase when less intelligent development tools are used. You may have
|> other considerations that render such an opinion less valid in your
|> environment.
|>
|> Regards,
|> Gary

Hi, Gary: Interesting. What would you say about (I'll name names to keep the discussion interesting):
1. use of higher level tools often lock you in to a particular vendor.

   (for example, we have faced this situation with Persistence -- admittedly     a higher level tool).
2. higher level tools lack flexibility since it is not easy to change

   default behavior when needed -- we've faced this with the DataLens    tools in Smalltalk.
3. support / maintenance costs for higher level tools usually tends to

   be higher -- case in point, our experience with Neuron Data. Not to say your points are not valid. Just trying to point out some of the disadvantages. Received on Wed Nov 01 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message