Query re O/S copy of database sunOs 4.1.3 -> Solaris 2.4

From: Nick Rice <Nick_at_blarite.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1995/10/31

We are moving a 7.1.4 database as-is from a sparc10, sunos 4.1.3 to 1000e, solaris 2.4.

We've done a test where we just did an operating system copy of all database files (obviously with the database down) (data files, control files, redo logs, init.ora) from one server to the other and it all seems to work ok (some other minor things done like the odd rename etc). (oracle for solaris etc already installed on the 1000e).

Given that all works fine, does anyone have any reason to believe this approach might result in us sitting on a time bomb?

Thanks in advance.

--
Nick Rice