Choosing a Database Monitoring & Diagnostics Tool

From: Richard Ellison <rellison_at_nosc.mil>
Date: 1995/10/30

Oracle DBA's and System Admins:

I've narrowed my search for high-end database monitoring/diagnostic tools down to the following:

  • BMC Software: Patrol
  • Compuware: EcoTools
  • Platinum Technology: UniVision

I'd like to speak directly with customerx that are either using any of the above mentioned products for managing their Oracle environment (preferably in any of the UNIX environments) or eliminated one of the above.

Some questions you might help me with:

Why did you pick the product?

Did you do install the product(s) as an evaluation prior or was it a cost and functionality-based decision?

What were your primary selection criteria that helped you come to a decision?

How is the support?

Are you pleased with your decision?

Any recommendations for things you wish you knew about before the procurement?

No vendors please.

Thanks to those very busy individuals that can take the time out to answer this posting...

Rick Ellison
Oracle Systems DBA Received on Mon Oct 30 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message