Re: pctfree for Indexes

From: Richard Frazier <rfrazier_at_mailstorm.dot.gov>
Date: 1995/10/30

Steve Preisach (steve_at_mailhost.gate.net) wrote:

: In regard to Oracle V6 and V7 databases:

: I am attempting to reduce overhead in the database. For tables that are
: never updated, we set pctfree to zero.

: My question is this: For indexes, should the same approach be taken? Does
: "Balancing the Trees" constitute an update to either the branch or leaf
: nodes? Should my pctfree for the index take into account the possible
: difference in the (stored) length of my keys?

: Opinions?

Absolutely, if the table is never updated, then the indexes should be stable enough to set pctfree at 0.

rick Received on Mon Oct 30 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message