Re: Exporting to a tape

From: Mark Bluemel <markb_at_pyramid.com>
Date: 1995/10/30

Software Design (softdes_at_cps.softex.br) wrote:

: mary_at_mitra.com (Mary E. Hunt) wrote:

: >
: >I am using Oracle version 7.1.3 on a Sun Solaris 2.4 Unix box.
: >
: >I was wondering if you can export directly to tape, and if so, what
: >is the command to do this. I know I can export to a file and then
: >copy it to tape, but I'd like to instead export directly to tape.
: >
: >Also, it would be nice if I could export a compress file to tape.
: >
: >Thanks for any help.
: >
: >Mary Hunt

: You need just to do:

: exp ... file=/dev/<your_tape_device>

: To compress, it's a little bit more difficult. But, most of DAT tapes : are already compressing your backups.

If you haven't got a compressing tape drive, you have to do a trick with named pipes. It goes something like this :-

	mknod compress_pipe p				# make a named pipe
	compress < compress_pipe > /dev/<tape> &	# background job
							# to do compression
	exp ... file=compress_pipe

This should be OK.

--
Mark Bluemel	Unix/Oracle Trainer and Consultant
		My opinions are my own, but I'll share them