Re: Shadowing ORACLE7

From: Carel-Jan Engel <cj.engel_at_ease.nl>
Date: 1995/10/28

svachon_at_mais.hydro.qc.ca (Stephane Vachon) wrote:

>Hi,

>Just wondering if there is a way to have a shadow
>database of Oracle version 7.1 under Novell 4.1
>or Solaris 2.3.

>By shadow i mean the entire database or
>just the tablespaces.

>The real question here is how can i maintain
>the modifications of a primary database into
>another database in case of a system crash
>on the primary machine ?

>The downtime is a big issue here.

>Interested to know if there is commercial
>software or tricks to make it work.

Think about a solution with either the database replicator, or using database triggers. We actually developed a set of trigger(generator)s. These generated triggers maintain each update/delete/insert also on another database via SQL*Net. This can be done synchronously, using 2PC, or asynchronously, using some extra (standard available) techniques. We also developed stuff for synchronizing databases after one of them was unavailable for a while. Downtime is almost zero with this solution, because of the fact that the second database is uptodate all the time. Email me if you have more specific questions. Bye, CJ

Carel-Jan Engel            mail: c.j.engel_at_ease.nl
                           phone:   +31 182 613460
Take it Ease!              fax:     +31 182 613570
Ease - Engel Automation & Software Engineering B.V.  Professional Software with Oracle, 'C' and Unix Received on Sat Oct 28 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message