Re: Tablespace lost

From: Richard A. Woods <rawoods_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1995/10/28

In <tok.79.000CD014_at_sni.dk> tok_at_sni.dk (Tom Krühlmann) writes:

>Hello !
>
>I'm currently running through all my emergency procedures. And I
 discovered
>that I always rely on having all of my filesystems files ( Unix )
 representing
>tablespaces in oracle on my backup.
>
>What could I do if I lost for instance my rollback tablespace, my
>tablespace or my temp tablespace ?
>
>I mean often no data is lost ( or very litle ), and I need to get the
 rest of
>the data back online ?
>
>Is there a way, or is all data lost forever ?
>
>Tom Kruhlmann
>tok_at_sni.dk

Tom,

How you recover an Oracle database object is influenced by your backup type (export or hot/cold), the instance mode (archivelog enabled/disabled), and so on. I suggest you get a copy of the Oracle Backup and Recovery Handbook from Oracle Press written by Rami Velpuri, by far the most definitive text on the subject. This book will help you define, implement, and test your backup/recovery strategy and includes a number of real life examples of database crashes, how it happened, how to recover from it, and how to minimize the impact of a recurrance.

Rich Woods
Oracle Worldwide Customer Support Received on Sat Oct 28 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message