Re: Oracle Snapshots

From: Hal Beumer <beumerh_at_cts.com>
Date: 1995/10/27

In article <46ipd3$7qi_at_info1.sdrc.com> "Dana M. Riley" <dmriley> writes:

>I have an application where, for performance reasons, I would like to
>replicate a read-only copy of a database overseas. The initial database
>is approximately 1GByte with approximately 250KB/Day of additions and/or
>modifications. I am considering using Snapshots for this application.
>I have two questions. How well do snapshots work with Oracle 7.1.6? (I
>had been told that snapshots did not work well in 7.0.?) Secondly, what
>are my options for networking? Is International ISDN Basic or Primary
>available?

>Any help which the net can give me will be greatly appreciated> If you
>do not feel that this is appropriate for general consumption, please feel
>free to contact me at Dana.Riley_at_SDRC.COM.

Snapshot Replication appeared in Oracle 7.1.4. Oracle 7.1.6 supports N-way and updateable snapshots also using the distributed option. Snapshots work fine.

For 250 KB per day, why do you need anything more complicated than a local internet provider at both ends and 2 28.8 Kbps Modems? This isn't more than a couple of minutes of data transfer per day. [Note - after you get you initial snapshot set up, i.e., the 1 Gig, you are only transmitting the differential changes, i.e., your 250 KB per day] Received on Fri Oct 27 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message