Re: ERROR: ORA-01034: ORACLE not available

From: Michael D. Grapevine <grape_at_suned1.nswses.navy.mil>
Date: 1995/10/27

Well,

After some hard work and the elimination of several things which were keeping SQL*Net V2 from working for me, it all came down to 2 things:

  1. Recompiling any and all Oracle executables manually by running make with the appropriate makefile, such as: make -f $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/lib/oracle.mk install After this, use the Oracle "adapters" program on all of these Oracle executables to check to see that all of the SQL*Net V2.1 protocol adapters, includeing the TCP/IP adapter, have been included in the rebuilds.
  2. Wherever you store your database data files, there should be a file named something like sgadef{oracle SID}.dbf. Look at the case of the "oracle SID" in that filename, and use that case, whether it is upper or lower, in your LISTENER.ORA and TNSNAMES.ORA SQL*Net V2 configuration files wherever you refer to your Oracle database SID.

Now SQL*Net V2 TCP/IP is up and running for me, and I can use it to check out some performance issues on data connectivity between MS Access on the PC side and Oracle 7.1.3 on our HP server.

Thanks to all of you who offered suggestions, the final solution involved 2 or 3 of them.

        Michael D. Grapevine
        US DoD
        Naval Surface Warfare Center - Port Hueneme Division
        Code 4G53
        4363 Missile Way
        Port Hueneme, CA 93043-4307
        Email 1: grape_at_suned1.nswses.navy.mil
        Email 2: MIKE_GRAPEVINE_at_4G-GATEWAY.Nswses.Navy.Mil
        Email 3: grape_at_fishnet.net
        Bus: (805) 982-7791
        FAX: (805) 652-1664

    ("Oh ya, I heard it through the ....")     Any statements / opinions made here are mine, alone, not the Navy's. Received on Fri Oct 27 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message