Re: VARCHAR vs NUMBER

From: John Strange <jstrange_at_imtn.dsccc.com>
Date: 1995/10/26

You did not indicate the size of the number so I could not argue about storage performance in memory.

Number lets you use a sequence generator and makes for easy programming.

Think about how you are going to generate a unique num_letter value.

Murray Shane (smurray_at_booz.bah.com) wrote:
:> Q: Is there an advantage in storing a "number" as a NUMBER data
:> type given that I don't need to
:> do any mathematical operations on this number field?

:> The scenario I have is this: I want to store a case tracking number
:> that is currently a NUMBER
:> data type. What if this were a VARCHAR(x) data type? I could then
:> use letters and numbers.

:> Is there a performance issue on sorting, finding, etc.?

:> --
:> --Shane Murray (offsite)

:> *** Make sure to reply to ***
:> *** smurray_at_booz.bah.com ***

--
This posting represents the personal opinions of the author. It is not the
official opinion or policy of the author's employer. Warranty expired when you