Re: Telling When Statistics Present

From: Dave McLaughlin <davemc_at_umich.edu>
Date: 1995/10/26

frostyt_at_aol.com (FrostyT) wrote:
..

>One last thing... Do NOT ANALYZE an index if you intend to ANALYZE its
>table. The ANALYZE of the table/cluster will automatically ANALYZE all
>associated indexes. A separate ANALYZE of the index will simply be
>duplicate work which prolongs the timeframe of collecting the statistics.

Can anyone else confirm or otherwise comment on indexes being automatically analyzed when the associated table is analyzed? The reason I question this is that the "optimizer" panel in Server Manager shows the tables having statistics but not the indexes unless I've explicitly analyzed the indexes. Perhaps behavior varies with different versions...? (I've been working with 7.1.3 and 7.1.4.)

                     Dave McLaughlin
                     University of Michigan