In-depth Oracle Statistics Questions

From: FrostyT <frostyt_at_aol.com>
Date: 1995/10/24

  1. How can I easily tell if statistics have been gathered on a table, index, or cluster? I already know that the dba_tables, dba_indexes, and dba_clusters views can be used to view particular columns which "hold" the statistics. Would I simply check if these fields have values? There must be a better way...
  2. Is there any way to determine when the statistics were collected? I assume that the statistics either exist or don't exist and there is no way to determine their "age".
  3. To decrease the time it takes to collect statistics (via Analyze command), I would like to "split" the long list of Analyze commands into several separate UNIX shell scripts and simultaneously execute them in the background. When working with a 16 CPU system, it seems that 10 separate jobs would finish much faster than 1 job. However, can anyone think of potential problems doing this? Example: Should the TEMP tablespace be temporarily increased in size? This would be performed on an idle database instance.
  4. Once statistics are collected, they are part of the data dictionary. Does this mean that a subsequent export will include the statistics? Wouldn't some of these statistics be incorrect after an import (Ex. count of leaf nodes)? Is there any reason to perform the statistics collection after the import?

Please email any information to frostt_at_ihub.ea.unisys.com Thanks! Received on Tue Oct 24 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message