Outer Join mega performance sack! HELP!

From: <veg_at_nowhere.nowhere>
Date: 1995/10/24

HI,

I'm doing an outer join on a table and I have a major problem with performance.

The view looks something like this:

create view viewname as

   select

      table_alias_a.column1,
      table_alias_a.column2,

.
.
.
table_alias_a.columnL, table_alias_b.column1, table_alias_b.column2, table_alias_b.column3, table_alias_b.column4, table_alias_a.columnM,
.
.
.
table_alias_a.columnN from table_a table_aliasa, table_b table_aliasb, where table_alias_b.columnQ (+) = table_alias_a.columnR;

When I to a query on table_alias_b.columnQ, it comes back in 5 minutes with the query result!

What is happening, i suppose, is that the thing is scanning table_a (approx. 157000 rows) for each scan of table b (approx. 80000 rows).

Is there any obvious way of improving this query without loosing the outer join property?

please email to glam_at_wnet.gov.edmonton.ab.ca with the subject "BLAIR" or to myself at this e-mail address.

Thanks in advance.

Blair Lowe

(P.S. if you think your answer is worthy of other people viewing it, then please post it as well.) Received on Tue Oct 24 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message