Re: Telling When Statistics Present

From: Robin Parker <parkerr_at_logica.com>
Date: 1995/10/24

In article <46gp7g$3tn_at_lastactionhero.rs.itd.umich.edu> Dave McLaughlin <davemc_at_umich.edu> writes:

>We are running RDBMS 7.1.4 on AIX and Server Manager 2.0.4 on Windows.

>We just upgraded the server from 7.0, and I made what appears to be a
>startling discovery. We have specified optimization_mode "choose" in
>init.ora, and we believed that we were using the rule-based optimizer
>most of the time. However, over half of our tables have statisitics
>present according to Server Manager (the "optimizer" tab in the "schema"
>file). We have no idea how this could be. Could Server Manager be
>wrong? Are there any likely ways of generating object statistics other
>than explicit use of the ANALYZE command? Are we really using the
>cost-based optimizer with these tables?

>TIA

>Dave McLaughlin
>University of Michigan

You can tell when you are using the cost based optimizer - the whole system slows to a crawl !! :-(

I made the mistake of doing an ANALYZE TABLE on some tables on one of my live systems. The phone rang hot with complaints until I realised what was happening and deleted the stats. Leason learned the hard way.

Robin. Received on Tue Oct 24 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message