Re: Exporting to a tape

From: Christian Pfundtner <Christian_Pfundtner_at_msn.com>
Date: 1995/10/24

mary_at_mitra.com (Mary E. Hunt) wrote:

>I am using Oracle version 7.1.3 on a Sun Solaris 2.4 Unix box.
You should upgrade if you have time 7.1.6 / 7.2.x are state of the art..
>I was wondering if you can export directly to tape, and if so, what
>is the command to do this.
I havn´t done this since a long time, but as far I could remember the follow should work:
exp usr/pwd file=/dev/rmt/0h ....

> I know I can export to a file and then
>copy it to tape, but I'd like to instead export directly to tape.

There are some issiues why this is better:

*) It is faster then exporting to tape
*) You can compress files befor moving to tape
*) If the tape has an error, you must not rerun the export
*) It is much easyer and faster to import

>Also, it would be nice if I could export a compress file to tape.

If you are using DAT-Tapes with compression, you may use compressing device....

regards
chris Received on Tue Oct 24 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message